Thursday, October 11, 2007

Take that, VW Dealer!

You may remember that a few weeks ago, I had a nasty incident with one of the local VW dealerships. Among the issues was that a bulb had gone out (I -think- while under their care) in the dashboard. This is the bulb that illuminates the heating/vent/AC controls. You'd think that after driving the car for over three years, I'd know the controls by heart. You'd be wrong.

The dealership said $79 to replace the bulb, because they'd have to "take apart the dashboard." Um, no. Well, that's probably the "official" method, but it's ridiculous. Yesterday, I bought:

1 replacement bulb......................................$1.10
1 pair very small needle-nose pliers...................$6
1 bag latex gloves.......................................$3

I just followed these directions, and it went like clockwork. I actually was able to pull the knob off by hand. Then I slipped the needle-nose pliers into two fingers of a glove, and CAREFULLY pulled out the old bulb, then pushed in the new bulb. 5 minutes in the Lowe's parking lot. And I bet that that's how they do it at the dealership.

Things are good.... I'm enjoying a few days off at home. On today's agenda: Taking the Golf in for Round 2 of "The Check Engine Light is on", getting the Honda inspected, writing two ads for Craigslist, renewing the tags on the cars, and going for a nice long bike ride.

No comments: